Sunday 27 October 2013

Catalyst: The Heart of the Matter, Part I

Just watched the ABC Catalyst program on the saturated fat controversey. The show interviewed a series of experts about the advice we've received for years: that we should reduce our blood cholesterol level and dietary saturated fat.
Of 7 experts, the 5 telling us dietary saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease all have books and websites that make money off controversy (Gary Taubes, Stephen Sinatra, Jonny Bowden, Ernest Curtis and Micheal Eades). So while they make valid points about the limitations of the dietary fat hypothesis, I would be sceptical of the alternatives they have to offer. In contrast, David Sullivan leads a lipid research group at Sydney Uni, and I couldn't find any conflicts of interest for him. He supports the low saturated fat message, along with Robert Grenfeld (of the National Heart Foundation).
The opinions of a journalist (and doctors who need to sell books) shouldn't presented as equal to those of a leading academic scientist. I look forward to more definitive nutrition research, but for now I'll be taking my science advice from scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment